Custom Search

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Gigamesh

Making up one third of acclaimed remixers Discotech, Gigamesh really shines as an excellent producer. I say producer rather than remixer because he really recrafts the songs in such an excellent and precise way that I see him getting a bunch of work as a producer based on these tracks. The first is a Lykke Li song that was one of the most popular of the year. While I do enjoy the original, the dancey additions that Gigamesh includes really change the dynamic of song and, in my opinion, for the better.

Lykke Li - Little Bit (Gigamesh Remix)

I hadn't heard this song by Estate before hearing this remix, so I have little basis of comparison, but it's hard to imagine the original being better. The grimy and continuous bassline and the punch of the percussion are amazing.

Estate - Write to Make (Gigamesh Remix)

Finally comes by far his best work. As an avid Radiohead fan (that pretty much goes without saying), I am obviously a big fan of Kid A. A standout track on the album is its opener, "Everything in its Right Place." The dreary electronic keyboards wander up and down, perfectly accompanying Thom Yorke's flawless voice. Gigamesh decides to give this track what I will call the Deadmau5 do-over. Substituting the keyboards for a more thumping, but beautiful house melody, Gigamesh really adds a new dimension to this already perfect song.

Radiohead - Everything in its Right Place (Gigamesh Remix)

No comments: