Custom Search

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Gui Boratto


Gui Boratto's new CD Take My Breath Away is another great album from the Brazilian DJ who's debut Chromophobia is one of my favorite minimal albums. This one follows a pretty similar path of intricate noises and wandering songs. He has a fairly basic structure to his song construction, but the parts that make up the whole are so great, that I almost appreciate the simplicity. The album artwork (available on his website) is pretty strange, nor do I like the idea of associating a picture with a minimal album. I much prefer the artwork for Chromophobia.

As far as the music goes, it is just what was expected, and that is definately a good thing. The guy has a good formula, and he is sticking to it. "No Turning Back" has a gritty sound to it, almost like an electric guitar, but yet it sounds as pleasant and any of his other songs. The vocals are spot on - minimal and secondary to the music, but adding a touch of humanity to the song. Once you guys listen, I'm sure you will know what I mean.

Gui Boratto - No Turning Back (YSI)

I am also including a random track I loved off of his debut and a great remix of Goldfrapp.

Gui Boratto - 22 (YSI)

Goldfrapp - A&E (Gui Boratto Remix) (YSI)

No comments: